×


(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Web User Login

Not Yet A User?
Click Here to Register!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum


FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

  1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

    http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

    Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Re install of fuel pump on 1940 ford v8

   Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Re install of fuel pump on 1940 ford v8 -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

classiclover
09-12-2026 @ 12:01 PM
New Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Aug 2021
          
Update gents

I just got my new/rebuilt pump from Charlie Schwendler. After a rather short discussion re: the one I sent him which was also rebuilt, but in such bad shape that he advised me to let him build me a pump. He built me an original pump with the drain cock. I just installed it using Mike's suggestion of removing the tower and attach the pump to it and install them as a n assembly. Worked well. Car started right up, BUT gas leaks at both the carb and pump. I was very careful not to over tighten those brass fittings, but had to put a little more pressure to stop the leaks. Now all is good Thanks to all of you for advice and tips

Dale

ford38v8
08-30-2026 @ 7:19 AM
Senior
Posts: 2939
Joined: Oct 2009
          
Ken, good point. He had three. There was Old Paint, then there was Patina, and his last one was Up In Flames.

Alan

39 Ken
08-30-2026 @ 5:44 AM
Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Oct 2009
          
Alan,
Not a V8r,
but he did have a Pinto...

ford38v8
08-29-2026 @ 9:34 PM
Senior
Posts: 2939
Joined: Oct 2009
          
Was he a V8er?

Alan

classiclover
08-29-2026 @ 7:08 PM
New Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Aug 2021
          
Alan

I appreciate all your help. I bought the new pump from Early Ford v8 parts in Piedmont NC and I am sending the old pump to Charlie Schwendler in NY to verify its condition and repair as necessary. I will certainly contact the club member in my area as you suggested. Again, thanks for all the help " I will endeavor to persevere, "Chief Dan George"

ford38v8
08-29-2026 @ 4:41 PM
Senior
Posts: 2939
Joined: Oct 2009
          
Dale, I do certainly understand your frustration. In my day, there were plenty of others with similar interests to call on, no shortage of help on hand. My only suggestion on that order would be to contact the nearest Regional Group of the EFV8 Club. That would be the Piedmont RG 52 in Waxhaw NC, about a hundred miles from you. Contact : Ted Wilburn, email ted.wilburn@gmail.com Phone 704-562-9428. Ted may even provide some names of members closer to you that can help.
Where did you send your pump to be rebuilt, to whom? ...And the new pump, what holes and bolts are you talking about, and where did you get that new pump? Can you provide any info on that pump?

Alan

classiclover
08-29-2026 @ 11:20 AM
New Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Aug 2021
          
Gents

I have gone thru all your suggestions and all things check out EXCEPT my rebuilt pump doesn't appear to be working. I just reinstalled the pump and followed Alan's suggestion of putting my finger on the intake of the pump and turn engine over. I should feel some pressure. I did that and didnt feel anything. As I said earlier, I did purchase a new pump, glass bowl type. When installing it on the tower I find the holes in the flange are too small, not a lot, but won't accept the bolts. I will call the source on Monday. Anybody have similar experience with this newer model pump. My next step is to send the rebuilt back and have it rechecked. Needless to say I am FRUSTRATED

ford38v8
08-28-2026 @ 7:49 AM
Senior
Posts: 2939
Joined: Oct 2009
          
Dale, let’s back up a bit … you said earlier that you successfully bench tested the pump. How was that accomplished? With the pump installed, no flex hose attached, press your finger over the inlet while cranking the engine, you should feel suction on your finger. If that is successful, try that test again with the flex hose installed. Remember also, the connections must be good, as even the smallest leak will prevent operation.

Alan

classiclover
08-28-2026 @ 5:01 AM
New Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Aug 2021
          
Alan

I have heeded all the advice given, which is greatly appreciated. I just replaced the flex hose a few month ago and did test it as suggested. I am following all suggestions to try to get this fixed. I have blown out all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb, I checked the travel of the push rod, I isolated the fuel pump as suggested, "with the new flex line on it", I sent the pump to be rebuilt and was advised it was not working , and had it rebuilt, followed Mike's suggestion on taking the tower off and installing pump on tower and then reinstall on intake manifold. Great idea, made the job much easier. I was careful to make sure the push rod was seated properly on the pump arm which should line up when putting the tower back on. I am very frustrated myself. The car was running great before I let it set 6 weeks with ethenol gas, which I know better. It did destroy the pump I live in Winston-Salem NC are there any savvy club guys in this area who I might ask for additional help

ford38v8
08-27-2026 @ 9:54 PM
Senior
Posts: 2939
Joined: Oct 2009
          
Dale, it seems that you have not understood the excellent advice you have been given here. Your attempt to pull gas from a can with the suspect flex line having failed, you discount the advice to replace the flex line and instead, purchase a new pump, which by the way, may be inferior to a rebuilt pump. As our advice is limited to address the facts as you describe them, we can certainly make mistakes based on misunderstood facts, but we can’t help if you make decisions unresponsive to our advice.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3


NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.


EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org
Powered by < CF FORUM > v.2.1

Company F
Your source for prime widgets and gizmos
321-555-4321
Company G
Your source for cheap widgets and gizmos and many other things.
805-555-1212