Topic: Re install of fuel pump on 1940 ford v8


classiclover    -- 08-11-2026 @ 12:24 PM
  Hello again

Follow on from previous discussion topic

I just got my rebuilt fuel pump and having difficulty gettin it to seat . The pump arm seems to be hitting the push rod preventing the pump from seating fully. I am sure there are recommended steps to do this. Thanks for the help in advance

Dale


carcrazy    -- 08-11-2026 @ 4:48 PM
  There are a couple of things you can do to make the installation of the fuel pump go more easily:

Make sure the pushrod is at the lowest point of its travel. You can rotate the engine to accomplish this by placing the transmission in high gear and moving the vehicle forward and backward until the pushrod is at the bottom of its stroke.

Tip the front of the fuel pump down relative to its rear and be sure the cup on the lever arm fits over the end of the pushrod. Once the lever arm cup is properly located, you can simply place the pump body flush to its mounting surface and install the mounting bolts.


ford38v8    -- 08-11-2026 @ 4:51 PM
  Dale, first off, it would be helpful to continue a thread rather than to start a new one on the same subject.
Your fuel pump's arm is spring loaded, actuated by the pushrod. It must be confirmed that it is firmly seated on the rod, but you can certainly crank the engine a few degrees, turning the cam lower, to lessen the spring load on the pump arm for installation.

Alan


classiclover    -- 08-11-2026 @ 8:52 PM
  Thanks for the hints. I will follow the advice on correct use of the threads Thanks to all


JayChicago    -- 08-12-2026 @ 5:07 AM
  For whatever it’s worth, in my opinion you properly started a new thread. This was a new question, on the tricks of installing a fuel pump. I think the Forum is an easier read this way.


kubes40    -- 08-12-2026 @ 6:19 AM
  I have found that removing the fuel pump stand, installing the pump to the stand and the installing that assembly to the engine is a "can't miss" way of doing this task.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth


1942deluxe    -- 08-13-2026 @ 9:05 AM
  Mike,
It took me years to figure out taking off the fuel pump stand made the job so much easier!


classiclover    -- 08-14-2026 @ 12:59 PM
  Thanks Mike Why didnt I think of that. Great idea

Dale


classiclover    -- 08-16-2026 @ 11:31 AM
  Gents

I have been advised by a friend that I should change the push rod. First time that has been suggested Not sure what wears out. How would I check it

Dale


ford38v8    -- 08-16-2026 @ 11:53 AM
  Dale, friends can sometimes give poor advice. If you follow the advice given here, no problemo.

Alan


kubes40    -- 08-17-2026 @ 3:54 PM
  Dale, you will need to measure the rod. Yes, they do wear out. They are meant to wear, being softer than the camshaft.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth


classiclover    -- 08-26-2026 @ 12:30 PM
  Update on fuel pump re-install
I finally got the rebuilt pump installed and hooked up the fuel lines. Tried to start the car and same result. Won't start. I put gas in the carb, car started , ran for a few seconds. I again isolated the pump by putting the flex line in a can of gas and unhooked the fuel line from the carb. Turned it over and NO fuel coming from the pump. I am at a loss. All things continue to point to the pump,BUT it is a rebuilt pump. Any ideas gents

Dale


kubes40    -- 08-26-2026 @ 4:23 PM
  Dale, I have ideas...
Go at this methodically.

install a temporary line from the inlet of the pump to a can of gas very close to the pump. You must eliminate the flex line from the possibilities. If the pump works with a swap of the flex line, you know the flex line is the issue. If it still doesn't pump there remains but two possibilities.
One possibility? The rod is not traveling far enough. Did you check the travel? If memory serves, it must travel a minimum of.243".

Okay, so let's say you did the check the travel of the rod and it is okay. Now you need to check the length of the rod. It should be between 8.868" / 8.875". Is it? If not, you need to get a new rod.
Install the new rod with the temporary line still in place. If it pumps now, place the flex line back in the mix. Does the pump still operate? Problem solved. If not, the fuel pump is poopy.

A quick and fairly accurate test of that flex line? Put your finger tight against one end and suck on the other, placing your tongue on that end. It should hold your tongue in place for a few seconds minimum. If you can draw any air at all through that line, it is shot.

When all is said and done, my betting money is on the flex line and / or the pump.





Mike "Kube" Kubarth


carcrazy    -- 08-26-2026 @ 4:37 PM
  Several things can cause the fuel pump to not pump enough fuel to allow the engine to run.

If you have an original type of fuel pump without the glass bowl. Check to make sure the gasket for the cover of pump body is sealing tightly. If this cover is not sealing tightly against the top of the pump a vacuum leak will occur preventing the pump from pulling fuel into the pump from the tank.

Once you are sure you have a good seal at the above location, remove the pump and fuel pump stand as an assembly from the top of the intake manifold to check for adequate travel of the fuel pump pushrod.

Measure the pushrod travel from its lowest to highest points. It should be about 0.200". Also pull the pushrod out of the engine to measure its overall length. If your engine originally came with a factory installed aluminum intake manifold the pushrod should be about 7.87" long. If the engine came with a cast iron manifold, the pushrod should be about 8.87" long.

When mounting the pushrod, fuel pump and fuel pump stand (as an assembly) back onto the intake manifold, be sure to use only one thin paper gasket under the fuel pump stand so that none of the pushrod travel will be lost.

Once you have done these steps and have your fuel feed line connected to the pump, you should have fuel being delivered to the carburetor.

It might be necessary to squirt a little starting fluid into the air cleaner while cranking the engine with the ignition turned on to get the engine to start. Once the engine starts, it should prime the fuel pump so the engine will run on its own. Be sure you have enough fuel in your gas tank to allow the engine to run.

Please keep us advised of your results.


classiclover    -- 08-27-2026 @ 10:37 AM
  Thanks for all the input. I have accomplished all the helpful hints. It appears the variable continues to be the pump, BUT, remembering it has been rebuilt and tested. I feel confident I got the pump arm attached to the push rod correctly. I have decided to buy a new pump and eliminate it as the culprit. I will send it out to be checked again. It is the steel bowl type that I wanted to keep on the car. Had to get the glass bowl style. I canlive with it I will continue to keep you all updated

Dale


ford38v8    -- 08-27-2026 @ 9:54 PM
  Dale, it seems that you have not understood the excellent advice you have been given here. Your attempt to pull gas from a can with the suspect flex line having failed, you discount the advice to replace the flex line and instead, purchase a new pump, which by the way, may be inferior to a rebuilt pump. As our advice is limited to address the facts as you describe them, we can certainly make mistakes based on misunderstood facts, but we can’t help if you make decisions unresponsive to our advice.

Alan


classiclover    -- 08-28-2026 @ 5:01 AM
  Alan

I have heeded all the advice given, which is greatly appreciated. I just replaced the flex hose a few month ago and did test it as suggested. I am following all suggestions to try to get this fixed. I have blown out all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb, I checked the travel of the push rod, I isolated the fuel pump as suggested, "with the new flex line on it", I sent the pump to be rebuilt and was advised it was not working , and had it rebuilt, followed Mike's suggestion on taking the tower off and installing pump on tower and then reinstall on intake manifold. Great idea, made the job much easier. I was careful to make sure the push rod was seated properly on the pump arm which should line up when putting the tower back on. I am very frustrated myself. The car was running great before I let it set 6 weeks with ethenol gas, which I know better. It did destroy the pump I live in Winston-Salem NC are there any savvy club guys in this area who I might ask for additional help


ford38v8    -- 08-28-2026 @ 7:49 AM
  Dale, let’s back up a bit … you said earlier that you successfully bench tested the pump. How was that accomplished? With the pump installed, no flex hose attached, press your finger over the inlet while cranking the engine, you should feel suction on your finger. If that is successful, try that test again with the flex hose installed. Remember also, the connections must be good, as even the smallest leak will prevent operation.

Alan


classiclover    -- 08-29-2026 @ 11:20 AM
  Gents

I have gone thru all your suggestions and all things check out EXCEPT my rebuilt pump doesn't appear to be working. I just reinstalled the pump and followed Alan's suggestion of putting my finger on the intake of the pump and turn engine over. I should feel some pressure. I did that and didnt feel anything. As I said earlier, I did purchase a new pump, glass bowl type. When installing it on the tower I find the holes in the flange are too small, not a lot, but won't accept the bolts. I will call the source on Monday. Anybody have similar experience with this newer model pump. My next step is to send the rebuilt back and have it rechecked. Needless to say I am FRUSTRATED


ford38v8    -- 08-29-2026 @ 4:41 PM
  Dale, I do certainly understand your frustration. In my day, there were plenty of others with similar interests to call on, no shortage of help on hand. My only suggestion on that order would be to contact the nearest Regional Group of the EFV8 Club. That would be the Piedmont RG 52 in Waxhaw NC, about a hundred miles from you. Contact : Ted Wilburn, email ted.wilburn@gmail.com Phone 704-562-9428. Ted may even provide some names of members closer to you that can help.
Where did you send your pump to be rebuilt, to whom? ...And the new pump, what holes and bolts are you talking about, and where did you get that new pump? Can you provide any info on that pump?

Alan


classiclover    -- 08-29-2026 @ 7:08 PM
  Alan

I appreciate all your help. I bought the new pump from Early Ford v8 parts in Piedmont NC and I am sending the old pump to Charlie Schwendler in NY to verify its condition and repair as necessary. I will certainly contact the club member in my area as you suggested. Again, thanks for all the help " I will endeavor to persevere, "Chief Dan George"


ford38v8    -- 08-29-2026 @ 9:34 PM
  Was he a V8er?

Alan


39 Ken    -- 08-30-2026 @ 5:44 AM
  Alan,
Not a V8r,
but he did have a Pinto...


ford38v8    -- 08-30-2026 @ 7:19 AM
  Ken, good point. He had three. There was Old Paint, then there was Patina, and his last one was Up In Flames.

Alan


classiclover    -- 09-12-2026 @ 12:01 PM
  Update gents

I just got my new/rebuilt pump from Charlie Schwendler. After a rather short discussion re: the one I sent him which was also rebuilt, but in such bad shape that he advised me to let him build me a pump. He built me an original pump with the drain cock. I just installed it using Mike's suggestion of removing the tower and attach the pump to it and install them as a n assembly. Worked well. Car started right up, BUT gas leaks at both the carb and pump. I was very careful not to over tighten those brass fittings, but had to put a little more pressure to stop the leaks. Now all is good Thanks to all of you for advice and tips

Dale


EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=18219